According to the invitation of the National Commission of the Republic of Kazakhstan for UNESCO and ISESCO Jashenko R.V. as a Chairman of the Kazakh National MAB Committee participated in the events dedicated to the program "Man and Biosphere" in the framework of the 36th General Conference of UNESCO (Paris, France) in 3-4 November 2011.
The visit objectives:
1) Participation in the activities of the MAB program in the framework of the General Conference of UNESCO;
2) Consultation and coordination of work with the leadership of the Secretariat of the MAB:
• introduce management plans for the Secretariat of the National Committee of the Republic of Kazakhstan on the organization of MAB biosphere reserves and research topics planned in the next 3 years;
• advice on the promotion of Korgalzhyn Biosphere Reserve as the first Kazakhstan Biosphere Reserve nomination;
• discuss current issues on Kazakhstan's accession to the regional Network of Biosphere Reserves (East Asian, South Asian and Central Asian, European and North American network);
• discuss with the leadership of the Secretariat of the main directions development of the MAB Program in Kazakhstan
As part of the UNESCO General Conference Kazakhstan delegate participated in the following events:
1) Plenary session to discuss and adopt a common resolution on the results of the 40th anniversary development of the MAB Programme, November 3
The meeting was chaired by the Chairman of the Commission on Science UNESCO, the presidium also included also the representatives of the MAB Secretariat and invited guests from several countries. The first half of the meeting was devoted quite tedious procedure of expression of approval of the MAB program in the world and express deep gratitude to his leadership on the part of representatives of MAB National Committees of different countries. This "diplomatic etiquette" took a lot of time and caused some outflow of participants from the audience. The second half of the meeting took place very rapidly and was dedicated to the discussion of the resolution, which prepared the German National MAB Committee, with the support of several committees of other countries on the basis of decisions of the Dresden conference MAB (June, 2011). Despite the clear wording of 4-point proposal for the Director General of UNESCO, the participants after a stormy discussion was almost completely redesigned version of the proposals, has 7 points (the final document will be published in the conference proceedings).
2) Opening of the art exhibition dedicated to the 40th anniversary of the MAB exhibition was held in the foyer near by the 12th hall of main building of UNESCO. Special solemn procedure was carried out. During the event Kazakhstan delegate was able to communicate with members of the delegation from Belarus, as well as to talk about the current issues of the MAB and UNESCO with the Director of UNESCO Cluster Office in Almaty S. Lazarev.
3) Reception dedicated to the celebration of the MAB Network of Biosphere Reserves, November 3
The reception was held on the 7th floor of the main building of UNESCO, attended by all the members of the delegations related to the MAB program, as well as employees of the Secretariat of the MAB.
4) Reception prepared by the Asia-Pacific region, UNESCO, November 4th
The reception was held in the evening on November 4th in the main building of UNESCO on the 7th floor. From the Kazakhstan side Dr. Roman Jashenko, academician Igor Seversky and the representative of the Embassy of Kazakhstan in France Ms. S. Zakieva attended events.
On the morning of November 4th Dr. Roman Jashenko met some staff members of the Secretariat of the MAB - a regional coordinator Dr. Thomas Schaaf and MAB Director Dr. Ishwaran. There were 30-40 minutes’ conversation with both of them on the management of the Secretariat and work plans of the Kazakhstan MAB Committee. They also discussed the issues of promotion of experts from Kazakhstan, a member of the IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas. After that, Dr. Schaaf introduced Jashenko R.V. to Prof. Choi (South Korea), and Dr. Miguel Klusener-Godt (member of the Secretariat of the MAB), who previously visited Almaty in May 2010. Professor Choi gave a high evaluation to the Kazakhstan Korgalzhyn Biosphere Reserve nomination and presentation of Tatjana Dujsebaeva (deputy chairman of Kazakhstan's National MAB Committee) in the last EABRN meeting in South Korea (September 2011).